“The Real Ale Shop is located on Branthill Farm, a classic malting barley farm supplying local breweries and ensuring a connection all the way from Barley to Beer!”
North Norfolk is steeped in a rich malting and brewing heritage, and for over ten years we have built up an unparalleled bond with our local brewers, ensuring the strongest connection between the finest malting barley and the finest real ales. Our work with the East Anglian Brewers Association and Crisp Maltings at Great Ryburgh have allowed us to achieve total traceablity for the ales: some of the bottles even show a grid reference of the field where the malting barley was grown!
Branthill Farm enjoys the distinctive coastal climate of North Norfolk which helps extend the natural ripening process, giving the malt a superior quality for these superb real ales. It is one of the best places on the planet for growing malting barley. The farm is also a member of LEAF (Linking Environment and Farming) which connects farming with the protection of the local environment. We are proud of our contribution to preserving the local landscape, and to wildlife conservation.
Our Micro Maltings
The ‘Barley to Beer’ Micro Maltings is now open to the public!
Situated beside The Real Ale Shop, you can come and see how special batches of our barley are uniquely ‘sun dried’ for use in an exclusive range of Extraordinary Ales.
The Micro Maltings is open to the public all year and is situated right beside The Real Ale Shop. There is no need to book as the unmanned display is free to look around. A short video inside explains the unique malting process, so even when the sun isn’t shining you can still see it in action!
The Real Ale Breweries
At The Real Ale Shop, we only sell bottle conditioned real ales, meaning that every one we sell has a fresh flavour and is full of character. The shop’s friendly staff are here to help you with your personal selection, whatever the occasion: from a bottle to accompany supper to an 18 pint beer box for a barbeque!
We stock from the following Norfolk breweries:
- Brancaster Brewery (Brancaster Staithe)
- Panther Brewery (Reepham)
- Elmtree Brewery (Snetterton)
- Fox Brewery (Heacham)
- Humpty Dumpty Brewery (Reedham)
- Why Not Brewery (Norwich)
- Oakwood Brewery (Wells-next-the-Sea)
- Woodforde’s Brewery (Norwich)
- Beeston Brewery (Beeston)
- Grain Brewery (Harleston)
- Wagtail Brewery (Old Buckenham)
- Winter’s Brewery (Norwich)
- Poppyland Brewery (Cromer)
- Aleyard Brewery (Riddlesworth)
Awards & Recognition
Over the years the Real Ale Shop has received several prestgious awards, including:
- Winner EDP “Plough to Plate” Award 2005
- Winner CAMRA “Best Independent Retailer” 2005
- Arable Food Chain Marketing Award 2006
- Winner CAMRA “Online Retailer” 2008
- Winner DRA “Independent Beer Retailer of the Year” 2009
Shop Opening Times
Tuesday to Saturday: 10am – 6pm in Summer ; 10am – 4pm in Winter
Sundays: Noon – 4pm
Mondays: Closed (October – May)
The Real Ale Shop is a subsidiary of Branthill Farms Ltd.
Company registration number: 357258 (England & Wales)